Pages

Thursday 16 April 2015

New quality fence panels

Well, it is about time I posted here again, I have a new shed arriving in mid-may. Sorry guys no post on building a new shed. Its proved cheaper to buy one this time rather than build one,  that's a sign of the times hey.  I have to move things around in the garden to make room for a greenhouse later on, (Edwin's fault). Unfortunately for me, the sunniest spot in the garden for the greenhouse is where we have a large tin shed, its too large to be moved and fitted elsewhere in the garden so it has to go, but before that, I have to store its contents, hence the new shed.  The only place for the shed means more work for me first replacing two fence panels.

Started making them today, the garden centre that I usually buy all my garden materials from has now closed down which is a real pity they only sold quality products, I cannot source these panels elsewhere in southern England only cheaper flimsy version, crap.

Luckily, I have timber stored from when we removed one of our decks when we erected our conservatory a few years ago.



Framework all cut and assembled ready for tomorrows featheredge boarding.

Ok, Here we go again,  today lovely sunny day time to crack into the panels and nail the feather edged boarding as seen on the right.

I used 40 mm wire nails you can use ring shank nails if you wish but it is not really necessary for your choice.

First I set up a sliding square to space each individual boarding at the right space to match the existing panels that I already have.

My panels are 2m square you will have to decide what spacing you require depending on the size of the panels you may already have,  or this may be decided if your matching existing panels, or again possible just filling a cap in hedging, or similar.

Shown on the left panel partly completed with the square setup to decide correct spacing for board spacing, with my spacing  I used 18 boards to complete a 2m panel width.

Heres both panels are now completed,  all that left to do is a machine out two capping strips to fit the top edge of panel its main purpose is to run off any rainwater to stop the end of the feather edge from rotting over a period of time.


Now both panels are complete, it is now time to remove the old panels and concrete gravel boards and cut back all the brambles from the side of the panels.  Number one son is not available till Monday night to help lift these panel into position as these are very heavy, I need to slide these panels down a concrete groove in the posts which will take three of us, two to lift these into the groove.


OK  there made,  now its time to lift out the old panels, well lift out maybe a slight exaggeration fall out is nearer the truth.

Now to attack the undergrowth next door and chop back all the massive brambles.   Corner post which was concreted into position some ten years ago when I put up the original rear fence. Now it is settled and has gone out of plumb as can be seen in the photo.  I drilled a 10mm hole through the top of the post and into the other post as well just out of shot in this photo I then bought four 125mm eye bolts and pulled it back plumb again with a straining wire.


The existing panels were only 1m high with about four 150mm concrete gravel boards under each of them in this corner many years ago I had a small compost heap hence the concrete boards to stop early rot of the panels, one still clearly seen in this photo these were all removed, they will be used elsewhere in the garden later.

Ok, it now Monday night myself and my son Ian lift the panels up and straight into position with no struggling at all, both panels fitted with ease first time as well which was very nice.


Well here they are fitted finishing the back fence off properly, now the composted area has now gone and it has become a completed full 2m high fence which returns around the corner, ready for when I  remove the last hedge,  but that another post.




Now they're finished and fitted its completed this corner nicely, next   I have to remove and store this pile of timber and concrete gravel boards elsewhere clearing the decking area ready for my new shed to arrive in mid-may. enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment