Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Red currents

These are new to my garden mainly due to friends in Holland. Karelle and Eelco who are a friend of my daughter Louise and Edwin they were making red currant and mint jam and posted on Facebook,  it looked fantastic and  I commented so, To which a reply came back next time you are over a pot will be waiting for you to taste.

As our lifestyle is changing to entirely Organic I thought, hmm why not grow more of our own fruits, this way we get control, no chemicals, sugars if any, we can if we want to add other fruits to make it naturally sweet from natural sugars.

We had a good look around the garden centres and finally bought these two Red current plants which I decided to grow in pots for some strange reason rather than a plant in the garden. Luckily we already had two identical pots ready and waiting for just these plants.

There names.
On the left Roland.
On the right.  Red lake. 

I understand the birds like the buds during winter and the fruits in the summer,  plenty of time to get some canes and netting.


I'm looking forwards to seeing these grow over the next year and made into jam.

These along with our home grow mint will be the first of many fruits planned to be grown organically without the use of chemicals in our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment